DISCOVER SOUTHERN ONTARIO
pAN INTRODUCTION TO DISCOVER SOUTHERN ONTARIO
Southern Ontario stretches from the city of Windsor in the south west, to breath-taking Niagara Falls in the east, and as far north as the magnificent Bruce Peninsula.
This area is a great place to call home, as we have great weather - if you like hot summers and cold, crisp winters, and colourful Autumns that will take your breath away!
In this Guide I will focus on the areas around London and St Thomas, and the north shore of Lake Erie, but will include other areas when they have important or interesting activities and information.
I want to get the news out
this is a great place to live or to visit!
We'd love to show you around the area - I know the movie may take a moment to load, but it's worth the wait!
I remember the first time I came to Canada on holiday from the UK, in the summer of 1977, I thought the weather, lifestyle and job opportunities in Southern Ontario were wonderful, the people were so friendly and welcoming, and they still are!
On our first Ontario vacation, we loved the vibrant cities of Brantford and London, and the pretty towns of St Thomas with its Railway Museum and Stratford - famous for its annual Shakespeare Festival.
The sleepy little villages that we found on our travels through this area enchanted us - the quaint village of Sparta with its well known Artist's studio, Port Stanley on the shore of Lake Erie, the tiny village of Dresden where you will find "Uncle Tom's Cabin Historical Site", and busy St Jacobs where you can take a step back in time and shop at the wonderful Mennonite market.
We found holiday accommodation to be affordable, and when we were considering the cost of purchasing a home here, we found that housing here was also well priced.
So, if you are planning a holiday to Southern Ontario, or if you are planning to emigrate, then take a look at this guide - we have lots of information for the immigrant to this country as well as information about the cities, towns and villages of the region, Summer Festivals, entertainment,
If you are considering emigrating here and are wondering about the weather and the various seasons in Southern Ontario, then check out our Seasons section.
Do you wonder what we do in our long winters here?
Find out in our Winter section and our Snowmobiling articles to find out what we do for excitement!
If you have never been to Ontario before, that's no problem . . .
In this guide you'll find information on many interesting places to go and there are lots of things to see and do while you are here.
In our Communities section, you will find an overview of each of the larger cities and towns in Southern Ontario.
If you are looking for Villages and smaller places to visit, look in Favorite Villages.
If you are seeking holiday accommodation in the London / St Thomas / Aylmer area during your Ontario vacation, check out our Holiday Cottages page and there is also a great choice of holiday rentals in Canada for every interest.
Many vacationing families choose this area each summer - and why not, it really is a great destination for a holiday - we have golden, sandy beaches, Hotels & Motels and beach-side cottages along the
Lake Erie and Lake Huron shores.
If you are traveling in Canada, there is an abundance of different types of accommodation from which you can choose - Hotels, Motels, Cabins & Cottages.
Bed & Breakfast accommodation is another option for families on holiday, which is gaining in popularity.
If you have a community in Southern Ontario that you would like us to add to our site, please use the Contact Us form and we will be happy to add more information to our data base.
In this area you will find:
* Vacation Spots
* Winery Tours
* Country Drives
* Summer Festivals
* Horse Shows
* Country Hikes
* Nature & Wildlife
Come with me and my family, on a journey around the area that is known for it's lush farmland, beautiful lakes and rivers, abundant wild-life and its warm friendly people.
"Découvrez Sud de l'Ontario!"
Check out this guide, and discover some of the hidden gems of this area, and some of my old favourites!
Many years ago, I came to Southern Ontario from England and my husband came here from Holland. Canada has been good to us and we love it here!
If you are thinking of moving here, please check out our immigration story in the About Us section.
Both my hubby and I have lived in Canada for over 40 years, in St Thomas and also in various places in Ontario, including a gold mining town in the northern part of the province.
If you are still wondering why you should visit this part of Canada?
Or asking yourself if should you move here?
What does Southern Ontario have to offer workers or visitors?
Would you like to know what there is to do here in the Winter?
Come along and explore some of our lovely towns and villages through these pages and discover why my family and I have made this area our home!
There is an abundance of Nature and Wildlife to be enjoyed in this area and many Conservation Areas, Provincial Parks and places of natural beauty to see, so check out our pages and come back often!
You can find lots of information on the Animals and Wild Birds in Southern Ontario here, including our Game birds, a variety of the Birds of Prey in this area, the many types of local Waterfowl, the common Backyard Birds and our elusive, nocturnal Owls.
To those who are visiting our website from other countries, please use the links below to translate these pages into the language of your choice.
Om deze pagina te vertalen naar het Nederlands, klik hier
Pour traduire cette page en français, cliquez ici
Per tradurre questa pagina in italiano, clicca qui
Um diese Seite in Deutsch, klicken Sie hier
Чтобы перевести эту страницу на русский язык, нажмите здесь
لترجمة هذه الصفحه الى العربية ، اضغط هنا
Thanks to Dreamstime for many of the pictures on this website.
- Discover Southern Ontario Blog
- The Discover Southern Ontario blog can keep you up-to-date with all additions and changes on the discover-southern-ontario.com website. Subscribe here.
- About Us, why we left England and how we settled in Southern Ontario
- About Us - the story of how we got here to beautiful Southern Ontario and why we love it so much! When you read about our journey to Canada in 1977
- Homeschooling in Ontario
- Info about starting Homeschooling in Ontario, Canada, advice and encouragement
- Cottages in Southern Ontario - family fun or peaceful get-away
- Cottages in Southern Ontario, try a cabin, cottage or chalet for a peaceful get-away or for great family fun, affordable and convenient
- Artisan Soap - gentle and mild, made with wholesome ingredients
- Artisan Soap from Sunnybrook Soaps, made with renewable source oils and natural ingredients, mild and gentle soaps
- Bed and Breakfast accommodation in Southern Ontario
- Bed and breakfast - becoming more popular around here - here are a few that we have really enjoyed!
- Some of our favourite villages in Southern Ontario, pretty & peaceful
- Favourite Villages, quaint & pretty, some of our favourites in this area of Ontario, such as Sparta, St Jacobs, Kingsville, Bayfield,
- Communities in southern Ontario, London, Brantford, Aylmer, Chatham
- Communities here are growing and prosperous, St Thomas, Strathroy, Stratford, St Marys, Windsor, Aylmer,
- Home Exchange, consider this Ontario holiday, affordable House swap
- Home Exchange, a growing trend in vacations, great way to have an Ontario holiday - ideas & info for those considering travel on a budget ...
- Cheap flights Canada, information and links to budget airlines,
- Cheap flights Canada, budget airlines flying to Canada to and from Europe and around the world, car hire info, currency exchange info
- Seasons in Southern Ontario, Amazing Autumn, Wonderful Winter
- Seasons in Southern Ontario, what to expect in summer, hot and often humid, lots of sunshine
- Weather - from summer heat to winter storms in Ontario
- Weather for Southern Ontario, seasonal info, links to forecasts
- Golf - one of the most popular sports in Southern Ontario
- Golf - Southern Ontario has many private and semi-private courses
- Ontario Police College in Aylmer, Ontario, OPC
- Ontario Police College, or OPC as it is often called, is on Hacienda Road, in Aylmer Ontario
- Stones N Bones Museum, Sarnia, Ontario
- The Stones N Bones Museum in Sarnia is an amazing place for young and old!
- African Lion Safari near Hamilton, wonderful place for a day out
- African Lion Safari - a fabulous place to go each year, enjoyed by young and old alike, something for everyone!
- Horseback Riding in Southern Ontario, more riding info soon
- Horseback riding - listings of Horse Riding stables in Southern Ontario - fun for kids! L'équitation!
- Hiking Holiday Enjoy a walking vacation in Ontario, great walks
- A Hiking holiday in beautiful Southern Ontario, self-catering accommodation, hiking guide can be arranged, great hiking holiday!
- Northern Lights, Aurora Borealis, beautiful mysterious
- Northern Lights, seen in the northern sky over Canada, mysterious and spectacular! Aurore boréale...
- Visitors' Southern Ontario Travel Stories
- Southern Ontario travel stories, by visitors from around the world who come here
- St Thomas Ontario - Railroad capital, close to Lake Erie beaches
- St Thomas Ontario is the Railroad capital of Canada, "Faster, Stronger, Better" - welcoming industry here, manufacturing - also where the famous Jumbo met
- Sunday Drives, we love to go for a leisurely drive
- Sunday drives are one of our favourite things to do at the weekends, through the farm country around Sparta, Ontario ....
- St Thomas Real Estate, housing in London, Aylmer and area
- St Thomas Real Estate, understanding housing terms in Canada, Southern Ontario real estate Agent, check mls.ca, real estate agent John Knowles
- Port Stanley, Lake Erie's north shore, clean sandy beaches in here
- Port Stanley, fishing village on Kettle Creek, Southern Ontario fishing port, popular vacation destination and is affordable!
- Sparta Ontario, an interesting history close to Lake Erie, Quakers
- Sparta Ontario - pretty village with Quaker roots, Winter Wheat, Peter Robson, Steed & Company, Sparta Candles, Sparta House Tea Room,
- Dalewood Conservation Area, St Thomas - Camping, Hiking, canoeing
- Dalewood, located just just to the north of St Thomas, Dalewood Conservation Area is a great place to get away from it all!
- Springwater Conservation Area - between St Thomas & Aylmer,
- Springwater Conservation Area, great camping, fishing, hiking and a spring-fed lake & beach for the kids - something for everyone
- Collier Homes, St Thomas, builder of distinction, Rick Collier
- Collier Homes,Rick Collier has been building homes in the St Thomas area of Southern Ontario for many years and has a reputation for quality construction
- Alma College, St Thomas - historic landmark fire, Ladies' College
- Alma College was a landmark in the town of St Thomas, built in 1878 and opened as a private girls school in 1881
- London restaurants, there are so many from which to choose
- London Restaurants, if you are looking for somewhere for a special dinner, or for a quiet Bistro, check out our list
- Frequently asked Questions - FAQ about life in Southern Ontario
- Frequently asked questions about Southern Ontario and life here, climate, education, immigration, housing
- O Canada, our National Anthem, words, Canada's best known song
- O Canada, our National Anthem and most beloved song
- Maple Syrup, the most delicious on pancakes, icecream, waffles
- Canadian Maple Syrup, made from Maple sap, what a tasty treat - use in baking and on breakfast pancakes, candy is wonderfully sweet, sucrose
- Christmas in Canada, Winter Wonderland of snow, enjoy a Canadian Yule
- Traditional Christmas in Canada - Snow & Santa, snowmobile time, cards & gifts, trim the tree and decorate the house Noël bonne
- Video Gallery - a tour of this area, Toronto, wildlife of this area of Ontario
- Video Gallery - take a video slide show tour of our website
- Canadian Wildlife photos, birds and wildlife of Ontario
- Canadian wildlife photos of Deer, Wolves, Birds of Prey, Blue Jay, Cardinal
- Canadian Animals, Beaver, Wolf, Deer, Coyote, Squirrel, Fox, Snake
- Canadian animals including the Coyote, Groundhog, Skunk and the Wolves in Southern Ontario, les animaux canadiens, White Tailed Deer, Squirrels, Fox, Badger,
- Grey Wolf of Ontario, stealthy hunter, family pack member, wolves
- Grey Wolf or Canadian Wolf, is found in small numbers in Southern Ontario, Canis lupus or Le loup, has been seen around the London area
- Coyotes in Ontario, secretive and stealthy, these animals are here
- The Coyotes in Ontario are thriving in most of Southern Ontario, in the countryside and increasingly near human habitation, they pose little threat to humans
- Big Cats in Ontario, seen across the province, Bobcat, Cougar, Lynx
- Sightings of Big Cats in Ontario, Lynx, Bobcats, Cougar, mystery animals
- Wild birds in Ontario, some common resident and migratory birds
- Wild Birds in Ontario - the species of birds, migratory and non-migratory species, rare and common birds
- Backyard birds - commonly seen birds in Southern Ontario, les oiseaux
- What we call Backyard birds - Blue Jay, Cardinal, Chickadee, Nuthatch, Goldfinch, les oiseaux du jardin
- Waterfowl and shore birds, Tundra Swans, Mallard Ducks, Golden Eye
- Waterfowl of Southern Ontario, including the Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Ruddy Duck and Tundra Swan
- Raptors and Vultures in Southern Ontario, Red Tailed Hawk, Falcons,
- Raptors and vultures in this area, Coopers Hawk, Red Tailed Hawk, Sharp Shinned Hawk, Turkey Vulture ....
- Tundra Swans - Spring visitors to Ontario - Aylmer, Long Point
- Tundra Swans - thousands migrate through Aylmer area on their way to Arctic breeding grounds, les cygnes
- Owls of Southern Ontario - the silent hunters of the night
- Owls in Southern Ontario - Great Horned, Short Eared, Screech Owl, Great Grey, Hiboux
- Game birds of Ontario include the Goose, Snipe, Woodcock, Wild Turkey
- Game Birds in Southern Ontario - fall hunt - Wild Turkey, Snow Goose, Canada Goose, Pheasants, Woodcock, Snipe
- Famous Canadians - who hasn't heard of William Shatner, John Candy
- Famous Canadians - Actors, Comedians, Scientists, Politicians, les Canadiens célèbres, Canadian Actors, Donald Sutherland, Bryan Adams, Shania Twain
- Native Canadian Art - unique and fascinating, l'art inuit
- Native Canadian people, Aboriginal peoples, the Inuit, Ojibwe, Metis, Cree, l'art inuit
- Tennille Rose Will, Canadian artist, native of Southern Ontario
- Tennille Rose Will, born Leamington, Ontario, raised in Aylmer, Ontario - her art is featured in ....
- Aaron Blanshard, gifted Canadian wildlife photographer
- Aaron Blanshard photography, gifted wildlife photographer from London Ontario, deer, birds, turtles
- Canadian Artist Michael Dumas, popular wildlife artist
- Michael Dumas' paintings of Canadian wildlife have wide appeal to those who love nature, Kingfisher art
- Wildlife prints, limited editions by Canadian artists, wildlife prints
- Wildlife Prints - we have for sale some Canadian wild-life prints by Michael Dumas, Carl Arlen, Bruce Muir, Robert Genn - other wildlife prints ...
- Guest book for our website - find out who our readers are
- Our Guest Book - our readers are from around the globe - leave your contribution about our website
- Contact Us
- Contact Us, write to us,
- My Passion - my SBI website, this site has changed my life
- My Passion for Southern Ontario is brought to life with SBI - more than web hosting this is a whole system for beginners and experienced web-site builders
- Fascinating places, links to other interesting locations world wide
- Fascinating places, check out the other great destinations around the world
- Spa Marvel - environmentally friendly hot tub system, gentle and mild
- Spa Marvel is a unique formulation of natural enzymes, minerals and plant extracts and contains no harsh chemicals, gentle on skin
- Genealogical and Family Research, family tree, ancestry research
- Genealogical and Family Research, we can research your family tree and provide you with information on your ancestors
- Our visit to Iceland 2017, from Reykjavik around the country
- Our visit to Iceland in 2017, Reykjavic, Selfoss, Vik, Hofn, Geysir, Keflavik airport, Gullfoss
- Hand Knitted Hats by Barb, designed and made by me
- Hand Knitted Hats by Barb, Scandinavian inspired hats, designed and made in Canada by Barb
- Tell us about when you emigrated to Canada
- Tell us about your emigration story, we would love to hear the story of when you came to live in Canada
- Discover Southern Ontario sitemap
- Discover Southern Ontario Sitemap
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.